At only approximately 1.8 hectares this small park offers a superb range of facilities.
There is a very popular play area with full safety surfacing and boundary fencing to prevent access by dogs, hard surface tennis courts, a new multi-use games area and a large bowling green.
Parks and Recreation aim to re-introduce a putting green that will be playable during the summer months.
Facilities & features
Children's play area
Grass kick about area
Bowling Green with club house
Tennis Courts (small charge payable)
Multi use games area
Ornamental flower beds
Dog waste bin
The land on which the park now stands was acquired by the first former Heaton Norris Urban District Council in three parcels; the first on 14th September 1909, the second on 14th February 1912, and the third on 17th September 1948.
The Park was opened to the public on the 1st June 1913 as Thornfield Park Recreation Ground. A play area was added on the third parcel of land in 1949, this was redeveloped in 1965. The large grass area in the park was used as allotments during and after the Second World War.
More recently the former play area was sold to developers and the capital raised was invested back into the remainder of the park. This has allowed for a significant improvement in the range and quality of the park's facilities.